Wednesday, October 28, 2009

McKinney Falls


Friday I stayed home and finished up my final paper for my English class. Mom and dad picked the oldest three up and took them to McKinney Falls State Park in Austin. This was our first time there. I came up Saturday with Aiden and Emi. I was pretty surprised to see a wooded state park so close to the city and I probably would have never found it without the GPS. From our way, you pass through downtown Austin and head toward the airport. I have to admit that I haven't been in or through Austin in a long time. This park would be a perfect place for us to bring the 5th wheel if we wanted to take in the sites, museums etc.

Mom and dad took the oldest on a guided tour before I got there. Mom said that is was supposed to take an hour to an hour and a half. With them being the only people on the tour, it took two and a half hours. She said the ends wanted to know every plant, butterfly etc. My kids can now identify every plant and tree there and at least three different monarch butterflies by pattern. The lady giving the tour thought she'd give the kids the scientific names of the plants. She ended up getting a history lesson out of that. We recently read a book on Texas naturalists and many plants are named after who discovered them. So, when she told the kids that a certain plant was cassiva lindheimerii, she got a full lesson on Ferdinand Lindheimer, the father of Texas botany. Tony also have her a full report on the box turtles. My mom said the volunteer was very knowledgable and kind of surprised that she learned a few things. Too funny.

We had hamburgers when I got there and then went for a long hike. Emi did awesome. Angie was a nervous wreck being so close to the ledge with the little ones and she didn't seem to believe me when I told her that I'd take care of them. I was shocked that we walked across the creek with five kids in tow. It flowed over solid rock was only a few inches deep, but it was slippery.

That night, the kids and I read the magic treehouse book, A Good Night for Ghosts. I think I love these books as much as the kids. This particular one was about a few New Orleans Ghost legands and mainly Louis Armstrong. This trip we slept in the camper. It wasn't all that comfortable, but it was still nice. It is so good for the kdis to be away from technology, TV etc and be bored. I brought a football, and a few dumptrunks and books. Brian would have been so proud to see Tony and I toss a football. At home, he shows very little interest in being outside or any kind of sport. He's actually getting to where he can catch, and he had fun. Too bad someone didn't get a pic of it.

2 comments:

  1. Vic, you just rock! Seriously. Your kids are really getting the best from you!

    Hey, check out the blog Fresh Fixins on my blog list. She posted an interesting view of nursing. I'd like to hear your take on it.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Christi, but I feel like you put me to shame.

    The writer is pretty spot on with my own frustrations. I didn't become a nurse for a paycheck like most of the young nurses that I work with it, but rather I was moved by how my mom's coworkers treated us after my dad's heart attack. I went to a hard core nursing school. You had to dress professional and be professional. These students we get and new nurses, alot of them just don't care and it pisses me off.
    I've prayed for a long time to be called into coming home, but lately I've realized that isn't God's plan for me. And no matter how frustrated I get, my voice for my patients is important. I feel for her, sometimes I'd like a change too.

    ReplyDelete