Sunday, October 7, 2012

Nothing this brag about

     Well, I'm 8 weeks into my class. I have to say that I am enjoying this second half of the class which is focusing on legal and ethical issues much more than I thought I would. I was doing really well in the class, and then this week I had a quiz that I made a 72 on and it really dropped my average. I never have done well on quizzes where all the answers are right, and you have to pick the most right, or where they ask you which you will do first. In nursing, the "most right" answer is situational, and we often work as a team and in reality there is no 1st, 2nd, 3rd, but rather each person takes a task and carries it out all at the same time.

     Going back to college in your late 30's is so much different than going to college in your late teens. I am a much better reader now, I have better time management skills, and my life experiences add interest to my written papers. While I am better able to accomplish the work, it is so much much harder. Online classes give you the flexibility to do the work at your own pace, in your own time, but I have more assignments than I ever had in a traditional class. We also have discussion boards to interact with each other. If you know anything about my antisocialness, then you know that this is the hardest part for me. And let's not even mention how hard it is to balance home, work and family without adding in school.

     I'd like to say that I have lots of help and support from my family, but that only comes every few weeks after a meltdown, and it doesn't last long. Just the way it is when you have worked so hard to make yourself irreplaceable I guess. Totally kidding. The reality is that there are some things that just don't get done unless I do them. I'd like to be able to "brag" about the kids in this blog, but we have had a rough few weeks, and are experiencing some important growth trials right now. I have a GT kid in tutorials for math and other struggling to read. I have a kid with severe anxiety and can't cope. Another who wants to only do activities in which they can come in first. Another prone to fits if they don't get their way and one that is extremely sarcastic and disrespectful. The last several weeks have been kind of rough for me and not exactly what I'd call joyful parenting. Sometimes I wish my kiddos were more cookie cutter. It's interesting that they are all different, but it means that each time they face the same trials, I have to come up with a new way to help them so its like failing over and over.

Hopefully, I can write in a couple weeks with some proud moments, but right now I got nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment