Tuesday, September 18, 2012

My New School Year

In my last brief blog, I talked about the kids starting back to school, but I didn't talk about me going back to school. Yikes, I know. Since Emi is doing a half day pre-k, I decided that I would start working on my BSN. I went to LVN school after I graduated from A&M, and then I earned my ADN from Angelo State over 11 yrs ago. I was always pre-something, and nursing was a job to do in the meantime. There are rumors that my hospital will elimate associate degree level nurses in the next 8 years. This has not been confirmed by higher ups, but I believe it is possible. So, I decided its now or never. In 8 years I will have TWO college age kids.

I am attending UTA and all my classes are online. It's a love/hate relationship. I love the instant feedback from professors/coaches, and I love the library access. I was able to instant message a librarian and she was a great help to me. She then emailed the transcript of our conversation to me, and I was able to refer to it while writing. But, it is much much more work than going to class, about 20 hours of work a week for ONE class. APA format is so complicated to me. I have to check and recheck my references and even then I'm still not sure I'm doing it right. I have done very well in my first 5 weeks, but I'm already trying to decide how much I can slack off and still make a decent grade. Sad, but true. I am very flawed this way. But, I think about my kids and the example that I want to set, and I trudge on. Don't be like mom!

It has been good for me, because I am starting to think of nursing as a profession rather than a job, and that is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment