Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Accomplishments.

  Next post will have pics, well probably. I'm fighting a bug that all my kids have had. Right now the score is Bug 2, Me 0. This is the second day, so I am hoping to feel better by tomorrow. I'm teaching a grossology unit at the kids school, and I'm not all that into it because I feel bad. Tomorrow we are touring the hospital lab which all the kids are excited about.

Last week was a week of accomplishments. My struggling reader has made tremendous strides. I'm super proud. It was just crazy, and his teacher and I have met several times to figure out how to help him. He had zero fluency. They are supposed to have a fluency score of 80% and he had 14%. You'd listen to him read and think that there is no way he is grasping any of this, and then he'd get every single question right. So, it became a question of bumping him back to easier books, or letting him struggle with the harder books? At first we did one of each, but eventually we decided to scale back to easier books. I want my kids to enjoy reading. Not for it to be a daily torture session.

Angie got her bridge up kick over in gymnastics. It was so exciting. She is in a group of kids much much younger than her. One of her coaches praised her leadership skills, but I could tell that she was getting discouraged. Her other coach told me that gymnastics is really hard at her age, and even girls who are much more advanced lose skills because they lose power for a little while because their bodies are changing so rapidly. Anyway, it was a huge confidence booster for her and for me a parent. I got to say, see if you work hard, eventually it pays off. I'm curious to see what she does next

Zac and Aiden's flag football team won the championship on Saturday. I was more excited that the other team lost than that we won. I'm not a sports fiend, so let me explain. These are boys K-2, and I felt that the other team was unsportsman like. Zac was punched in the chest, Aiden was pushed down for no reason. This is flags and the rules say no contact. I can understand boys getting a little excited and tripping each other up etc, when they go for a flag, but my friends son was hit in between plays just because he pulled the kids flag. It happened right in front of the ref and nothing happened. We made a touchdown and the coach had the ref call a penalty flag for illegal blocking. It was behind the scrimmage, the ref didn't see it, but he overturned the touchdown. Then the other team worked the clock for EIGHT minutes. They had time for one last play, and then they fumbled! Karma. So, we won 16-14. I tell my kids that you can't always make people do right, but you still have to set a positive example and not let it get to you. Again, not a sports expert, but I think that flag should be about playing as much as possible and that every kid should play. One of their kids sat on the sidelines the entire game.

No comments:

Post a Comment