Tuesday, September 27, 2011

MOndys I get two whole hours to myself. So, today I am spending the first part blogging. Then I'm going to read a little. Yeah, yeah. I know there are dishes to be done, laundry to wash, etc, but that stuff is always there. It NEVER goes away.

Things are still not finalized with Brian's treatments. As you know, his biopsy was positive for lymphoma. We can look at this lots of ways. We can say the transplant cured everywhere but that spot, or we can say the transplant now has this cancer behaving in a usual way. Brian has an indolent for of non hodgkins lymphoma. B-cell follicular to be exact. These cancers are supposed to be slow growing, you wait and watch and treat when necessary. But they are persistant little weeds and are hard to cure. Boo, but the good news is there are lots of treatment options.

In the past, Brian's cancer has not behaved this way. It has been very aggressive. The first time he was diagnosed, it was in his neck, chest, abdomen and pelvis and very large. He had fluid in his lungs and a blocked off kidney. The second time, 18 monts later, it was very large in his chest and wrapped around his spine.

This time, 18 months after transplant, it was about quarter sized and in his groin. He had surgery to remove it, and he will continue his Rituxan and do radiation as well. He needs at least another week for the incision to heal, and the radiation oncologist is waiting on the cd of the PET scan to arrive by courier before she can make treatment recommendations. I would really like to know, but that is just because of my constant compulsion to plan. I need to plan my work schedule, someone watching the kids etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment