Friday, November 20, 2009

Kid Update Part two

I know, I know, I already did a kid update this week, but there are a couple things I need to write down before I forget.
This week I took Tony to the orthodontist. I really don't get alot of alone time with him. The other kids I seem to manage it more, but they come to me, him I have to seek out. At home he's often quiet, reading a book etc, but you get him by himself and he is hilarious...but first, the reason we went.
The oldest three kids recently had their dental checkups and Angie and Zach were in the no cavity club. Tony, well, he had 12 cavities. The dentist adviced us to take him to the orthodontist because maybe his bite was a factor. So, I made the appointment. I have alot of respect for Dr. Oliver, and he seemed to remember me, granted I've only had my braces off for 3 years. So, he wasn't too concerned about the cavities, they are in baby teeth and he said that they are extremely small, but he does have a cross bite, which means some of the back teeth are over the top and some are over. He also said that his jaw is small, but the only way to fix that is surgery but not until he's an adult. He may need braces later to close the gaps, but Dr Oliver says that's easy to fix. Tony is getting a thing called an expander though to straighten out that bite. I'll post more on that when it happens. Apparently it looks kind of like a retainer, and it has a key you have to turn twice a day.
So, Tony hears the word surgery, and he immediately starts crying uncontrollably. I start to pick him up and Dr Oliver stops me, and just holds him in the chair and talks to him. He's a father of four, but it still struck me as really sweet.
So, he's asking Tony what he wants to be when he grows up, and Tony tells him, a 'grossologist'. So of course, the orthodontist says "what's a grossologist?" and Tony says you know they study gross things, and if I find some moldy teeth I'll save them for you because I know you love teeth" At this point, I am about to fall out of my chair, because of all my kids, this is the one that definately WILL NOT be a "grossologist". He vomits at the site of his own blood or the smell of dead crickets and pretty much anything else 'gross'.

So, this school year has been really tough for me. Angie and Tony are both "labeled" as gifted and talented. I say labeled because they are in a small school so Tony is the only GT kid in his grade and there are two in Angie's grade. The other girl is Tony's age but she skipped second grade. So, their teachers grade them very tough. Tony had one "B" which was an 89, and Angie had all "A"s but two were barely "A"s. So, I alternate between being mad and being grateful. I've had a couple of teacher conferences. Sometimes, I debate whether to pull them out of school altogether and home school them. But, we've been studying at church learning how to stop and hear the word of God in our lives from the big things to the small, and I think I got my answer.

Last night was family night for the school book fair. I kept Angie out of dance last night, because my cousin is here visiting and she also had way too much homework to do, mostly UIL stuff. So, Brian and Tony went to cubscouts, and I took the rest of the kids to the book fair. I told them to be good and no running or screaming and they could each get a book (yes even the babies). So, they shopped for their books and while I waited in line, they sat at a table and had a cookie and punch. I might add that I bought 84$ worth of books, but that's what happens when you are a mom of five.

So, getting to my point: all week Angie has been talking about this cookbook she wanted. For those that don't know, she is quite a foodie, she loves food network, helping in the kitchen, trying new foods that other kids wont touch, and she drives me crazy with her constant critiquing of my meals. So, anyway, first there were 3, then 2, then only 1. So, last night we go to the bookfair, and she goes straight to that table and....no book. I can see on her face she is disappointed, but she quickly clears it and helps the other kids find a book. Then, her teacher comes over and hands it to me. She said she put the last one back and she was going to buy it for her if we hadn't.

And right there, I thanked God for showing me that even though I don't always like it, for whatever reason, my kids are right where they are supposed to be.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, Vic, that is awesome. He will answer our prayers if we seek Him with all of our hearts.

    I've been thinking about the teacher situation with your kids. I haven't said anything because honestly, it makes me mad. It makes me mad because I remember Amy and John David and a few others that were ahead of me in GPA when we graduated but they didn't take ANY AP/Honors classes. But then I stop and think that this is elementary school, so who really cares what their GPA is. I also wish that teachers early on would have been harder on me. I floated for so long that when we hit our senior year and needed to study for calc and physics, I had no clue and had to fight thru both of those classes. I wish someone early on would have held me to a higher standard because I was capable of much more than I was ever allowed or encouraged to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops, I was signed in to the wrong google account, it is me Christi, in case you didn't know
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete